“How to get motivated?” That’s the most important question you could ever ask yourself. Asking yourself how to get motivated, means you were motivated enough to get motivated. It means that you’re looking to improve yourself. Maybe you’re doing fine or maybe you’re going throught the worst time of your life. I’d say it doesn’t matter, but this isn’t one of those cheesy articles about how you must simply forget about all your problems because they hold you back.
This article (at least I try to) is as much as it’s possible about reality.
A reality were we have bills to pay, where if you don’t have money you feel stuck and unable to do anything. Where your relationships, your life, your body, your mind, your passions, your dreams, your everything suffer because of it’s lacks. Your problems are important, not because they hold you back, but because they’re the motivation you need. You must not try to ignore them. You must focus on them. Focus on them as hard as you can, because that’s what’ll change your life. Whether it changes in better or worst, depends on the way you focus on them, on HOW you focus on them. They’re the answer to “How To Get Motivated”. So, let’s begin:
1. HOW TO FOCUS
In all honesty, according to some people I shouldn’t really dare to speak about this topic, because I haven’t achieved anything yet and I’ve been drowning in problems. But I’m doing this anyway. Why? Because I want to, because that’s the only way you can achieve something, that’s the only way you can get rid of your problems, by trying, over and over again till you succeed.
Maybe you’re looking for excuses such as “I don’t have the time” or “I don’t have the resources” and my answer is “do you really believe that everyone, who has ever achieved anything, achieved it because he had the time or the resources?” in truth I tell you, that it’s the people who didn’t have time at all, the people who didn’t have the resources, who struggled, who were teared apart and beated down by life, who felt insecure and scared by life that achieved their dreams. Why?
Because when most people look at a problem, they see it just as a problem. They focus on how bad the thought of that problem makes them feel, of how it ruins their mood and their life, by causing more problems, but very few dare to ask WHY it makes them feel like that. Mostly they avoid this because they think the answer it’s obvious, that they already know it, but they need to dig deeper in that pain, to remind themselves WHY it’s so painful.
- Why does it make you sad?
- Because you need for things to be the way you want to.
- Why? Because you’d be able to realize your dream.
- Why do you need that? Because it makes you happy.
- Why does it make you happy?
- Because that’s what the little voice inside your mind whispers, tickling your heart.
Life is a hurdle race. You can’t simply turn around every obstacle and go to the finish line. You’d get disqualified. To win, you must follow life’s rule, which are facing every obstacle and pass it. And trust me when I tell you that when you’ll get to that finish line, all your struggles will be worth it. They’ll be worth all of your struggles, all the pain and all the times you forced yourself. Your problems burn you, but why do think they burn you? Because they’re a combustible. Use that pain, that fire, throw them and burn them as wood in a chimney. It’ll be the energy you need. Because now that you know you don’t want them, that you want to achieve your goals, you must work hard and try hard untill you resolve them. Sometimes you’ll feel like giving up, or like you can’t do this, or that it doesn’t depend on you. Bla, bla, bla… just useless chit-chat in your brain. That’s the only thing you trully need to ignore because YOUR JOB is to act. YOUR JOB is to get there, no matter what you think, because only you can take yourself there.
Sure, you can avoid trusting me, you can say I’m just a guy who talks about thinngs he doesn’t know. Well, you’d be right. Don’t listen to me. I don’t know what I’m talking about. Listen to the people who know what they’re talking about. Like Gene Kranz, flight director of Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle missions:
Failure is not an option
or to Thomas Edison (inventor of the lightbulb)
I have not failed. I have simply found 10.000 ways that do not work
or to J.K Rowling (for those of you who don’t know, she’s the writer of the Harry Potter serie), whom was divorced, unemployed, raising a daughter on social security while writing the first Harry Potter, which got then rejected by 12 publishing houses. And at last, when she finally managed to publish it, only 100 copies got printed. Her words on life? These:
You control your own life. Your own will is extremely powerful.
Anything is possible if you got enough nerves.
I believe in hard work and luck, and that the first often leads to the second.
It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case, you fail by default.
Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
And they’re just three of the millions of successful people all around the world. Learn from their stories, learn from their mistakes to not commit them to. A story I suggest you to learn today, is this Hang out with people who are more successful than you, that do the work you wish to do. Don’t worry if you don’t know any of them. You can meet them. Afterall, if there’s one thing the internet is trully good at, it’s connecting people.
Try with Twitter.
- Start by finding only ONE person.
- Follow them and simply start with a simple message like “hello, nice to meet you”.
- Start following the people that person follows.
- Do the same with them too.
- Talk with them, ask them for advices, for their opinion.
- Listen to their wisdom and build one of of your own.
- They’ll help you get motivated with their stories. Maybe they’ll even help you get there.
3 . BELIEVE
And at last, the most important thing I can tell you. Maybe you’ve already heard it a billion times or maybe it’s the first time you hear it, either way, listen carefully (well, read carefully, but still…).
Why should anyone do anything if they don’t believe they can achieve their goal?
Maybe you feel insecure. Maybe you’re not satisfied with yourself and you think you’re not good enough. If that’s the case, even without meeting you I can tell you with 100% certainty that in my opinion, you’re good enough. I’m not telling you this just to motivate you, but to take away the cloth you wrapped on your face, blinding yourself without a good reason (despite of what you may think).
Maybe you did because of someone in particular. Someone mean who broke your self-esteem like a decaying building, or maybe it’s just life, overall. The thing you saw, the things you learned. Maybe they are what broke you. It doesn’t matter.
What trully matters is that true talent is not being good at a skill. TRUE TALENT is having the will to improve your skills. To try over and over again till you get it right. No matter who you are and what you do, nor do matter all the problems you have, your lack of money, of love or of anything else. All that matters, is if you believe or not in yourself, because your blinded mind is the only thing holding you back.
When you have a dream, believe you can achieve it. Believe in yourself. Believe in what a great person you are. If you struggle with it, write down on a paper all your qualities. Believe you have what it takes, believe that if you work hard you can achieve it, and you will.
Henry Ford once said.
It doesn’t matter if you think you can, or you think you can’t. Either way, you’re right.
Believing is a choice. Choose it and never look back.
4 . LAST ADVICES
We’re on the same boat. I’m currently trying to achieve my dreams too. I don’t know if I’ll manage too, if I’ll have the luck it takes and in all honesty, this whole article was written more for my own self than for you. It’s a sort of reminder, you know… the dream I have, to me means everything and I’m terrified by the idea of the possibility that it won’t happen, but what I realize, is that it all depends on me and on how much work I’ll put to achieve it. That’s what gives me courage.
Mark Twain once said:
Courage is not the absence of fear. Is acting in spite of it.
Peter Dinklage said:
Ever tried, ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.
and Martin Luther King said:
You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.
Quotes of people like them is what keeps me going forward. I lost the count of how many of them I’ve read and I suggest you to do the same.
Maybe now you’re a bit motivated (at least, I hope so) but you don’t know what do to.
- Think about a solution for your problems. Find a way to connect your dream with the solution. Your dreams shall be the solution to your problems, not their creators.
- At first it’ll be tough. Maybe it’ll seem like you made even more problems. Don’t worry. Keep going because I can assure you, that no regret is worse than the remorse of not trying to follow your dreams.
- If you can’t connect them, have a temporary plan B. It could be a job you’ll feel stucked in or maybe a bunch of little jobs. It’s not a problem, work. Just remember to never stop working toward your dream either.
- Try to find a way to get a chance to realize your dream. At first it’ll seem like you can’t. Like it’s a dead end. Keep trying. Believe you’ll find it and you will.
- And when you’ll get the right impulse, even if it’ll be silent as a whisper. When you feel it, catch it. Go for it. Follow it. Success requires speed. When you feel you should do it, do it. Sometimes you’ll be required to do things you don’t feel like doing. Maybe it’ll happen when you had a bad day, but if you really wanna make your dream come true and if it that action doesn’t go against your morals (and isn’t illegal). DO IT.
- Something else I suggest you, if you want to learn successful people’s “secrets” to achieve happiness, is to watch the movie “The Secret: Law of Attraction”. It helped me a lot.
- Also, I suggest you to watch this short video. It helped me too.
I hope this bunch of advices will help you.
I wish you to use your will, strong enough make your dreams come true.
And I hope that one day, I will too, and we’ll meet each other and have a good laugh together.
Good luck, my stranger friend.
Make your luck* 😉